El Karama Lodge
El Karama Lodge is an intimate, award-winning eco lodge located in the heart of the Laikipia eco-system on 14,000 acres of private land. The wildlife experience here is world–class offering sightings of 4 of the Big 5 and over 430 bird species. Landscapes are far-reaching with guests can enjoying direct views of Mount Kenya, the Aberdares and the Lolldaiga hills. The property is known for its picturesque views and with a very high density of East African wildlife, it is perfect for wildlife and landscape photography.
Located on a private working ranch, this little lodge comprises only 8 cottages and we pride ourselves on our home grown and pioneering approach to hospitality and our operations. All our produce is either grown here in our organic garden or procured locally from entrepreneurs with whom we have long term working relationships. The architecture has been lovingly designed, with many small and thoughtful touches that show the love and care the owners have for this special place. The family heritage is an artistic one and this can be seen throughout the lodge in the form of paintings, books and wildlife sculptures.
- Walking Safaris – Walking safaris are one of the most amazing ways to see El Karama. Because of the high density of dangerous game like elephant and buffalo on this property, we choose our locations carefully. You’ll be taken on to the high, open ridges with an armed guide and will enjoy direct views of Mount Kenya, the Aberdares and the Lolldaiga Hills as well as the rolling and landscapes for which El Karama is renowned.
- Driving Safaris – This is a surefire way to see wildlife on El Karama. With over 80 mammal species here including Four of the “Big Five” and several endangered species – link here to list of mammals- so getting out and about at the key times should give you a safari experience you will not forget.
- Farm visit – Guests may visit the ranch HQ, the cattle and herdsmen and some farming activity taking place: milking, calving and cattle inspections. This is extremely popular for families and groups interested in seeing more of the working ranch.
- Bush Meals – For guests who stay with us for 3 nights or more on our full package, we always fit in bush meals. Eating under the stars in the evening by a fire in the bush or under a Bosquia tree while giraffe browse nearby is a memorable experience. If you are interested in this experience, mention it when booking and we’ll see what we can do.
- Kids Only activities – We love family groups and believe that this environment is ideal for children and teenagers. For this reason, we have developed activities specifically for kids.
- Photography – A haven for photographers and in addition to the wider variety of mammals and birds here, El Karama has a stunning landscape to offer. Photographers can enjoy direct views of Mount Kenya, the Aberdares and the Lolldaiga Hills as well as having the Ewaso Nyiro flowing beside the lodge.
- Swimming – Not only does the pool area give you more space to explore, stunning and wide reaching views of the river, the Aberdares and the ridge beyond it has also proved popular with over 80 bird species who visit daily.
- Fly Camping – fly camping set up is simple and designed for minimal impact on our environment. This is aimed at adventurous guests who like being outdoors and is particularly recommended for those guest staying with us for the longer visits. (recommended as part of 4-5 nights stays). All fly camps are guarded by an armed ranger and full time guide to help and host when needed.
This cottage is our largest. It has two bedrooms: the master bedroom has a large double bed fit for a king, two tree house floors with single beds for children over 8 years and a living area with a sofa and armchairs. The second bedroom is smaller with two twin beds and a round glass window for game viewing. Look out for genet cats, they seem to love this part of the lodge! The bathroom is large, with a river-facing bath and a separate shower. There is a lot of additional space around this cottage for kids to run and explore.
This cottage was built with families and small groups in mind. With a large double bed that could fit four, two single beds and sofa, it is ideal for those wanting to stay together. For additional privacy, we’ve built the bathroom a step away. Like the bandas it has a large stone bath and shower with an open window looking directly onto the river – if you’re quiet you may see African Finfoot or Hippo moving down river!
The Little River Camp is made up of two luxurious cottages with stunning ensuite bathrooms and roomy verandas all nestled on the river bank along from the main lodge. Each room has the option of double, twin or even triple beds available, both have a large writing desk, plenty of atmospheric lighting and the choice of a bath or a shower. Bathrooms are spacious, his and hers sinks and offer couples plenty of privacy.
All the bandas have a spacious central room with a double bed (one is a twin), covering in mozzie nets, a seating area with a small table for writing, furniture for storing/hanging clothes and an ensuite bathroom with a large stone bath (and overhead shower) that you can sink into after a long day out. Bandas have their own verandas for reading and star gazing. They all over look onto the river.
el karama lodge